Spinal Stenosis Treatment Alleviates Pressure on Compressed Nerves to Reduce Chronic Pain
Inside your spine is a hollow chamber that houses a long cord of nerves. These nerves are responsible for transmitting signals across your entire body. If you suffer from spinal stenosis, you spinal canal will narrow. This will compress the nerves and often cause radiating discomfort along your back and limbs. Dr. Aron D. Rovner offers effective spinal stenosis treatment at his NYC area practice. At New York Spine and Sports Surgery, he takes a conservative approach and can usually address the condition with medications, physical therapy, and injections. If necessary, however, he can perform an advanced surgery to ease your discomfort and improve your mobility.
What Is Spinal Stenosis?
Spinal stenosis most often affects the lower back (lumbar region) and the neck (cervical region). It occurs when the hollow channel of your spine begins to narrow. In some cases, spinal stenosis can be congenital. However, in most instances, it will develop over time, often as a result of osteoporosis. In other cases, spinal stenosis can arise because of bone overgrowth. Alternatively, the surrounding ligaments may thicken with age, eventually protruding into the spinal canal.
"Stenosis" refers to an abnormal narrowing of a channel inside the body. In this case, it is the spinal canal.
Sometimes, spinal stenosis will not produce any symptoms. In other cases, you could experience:
- Cramping in your legs that eases when you sit down or lean forward
- Numbness, weakness, and/or tingling in your limbs
Typically, symptoms will develop over time, and they will come and go in waves.
Spinal stenosis treatment can dramatically improve your overall wellness and quality of life.
Spinal Stenosis Treatments
Dr. Rovner offers several treatments for spinal stenosis. Beginning with the least invasive option, he will adjust your treatment plan until you enjoy significant relief from your symptoms.
- Medications: In mild cases, non-prescription pain medication may be enough to relieve your discomfort. If you have more severe pain, Dr. Rovner may prescribe a short round of narcotics or muscle relaxants.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapy exercises can have a number of benefits. They can increase blood flow to the spine, delivering needed oxygen and nutrients. It can also strengthen your back muscles and increase spinal flexibility.
- Injections: Dr. Rovner can administer steroid injections into the epidural sac that encircles the spine. These medications can reduce inflammation and accompanying pain. At the same time, the doctor may also use a saline injection to flush out excess fluids. Results can last for several months, and you can receive a limited number of repeat injections.
- Surgery: If you have a more advanced case of spinal stenosis, Dr. Rovner may recommend a laminectomy. During this procedure, he will remove the
lamina,or the part of the vertebra that covers the spinal cord. Similarly, during a laminoplasty, he will reshape this bone so that it no longer compresses your nerves.
The Benefits of Spinal Stenosis Treatment with Dr. Rovner
Spinal stenosis treatment can dramatically improve your overall wellness and quality of life. After treatment, you could enjoy a significant relief from your chronic pain. You may find that your mobility improves as well, allowing you to enjoy all of your favorite activities. You will especially benefit from treatment when you visit an experienced physician like Dr. Rovner. Internationally regarded for his expertise in back and neck conditions, Dr. Rovner is an excellent choice for your care. He is familiar with the latest treatment options, and he works with incredible skill and precision. Most important, he will work closely with you throughout your treatment, providing compassionate and personalized care.
Contact Us for an Appointment
Are you suffering from the symptoms of spinal stenosis? Contact New York Spine and Sports Surgery to schedule a diagnostic consultation and receive the treatment you need.